Sunday, April 19, 2009

spring

I love the smell of spring in the Pacific Northwest. It's a relatively new smell to me. Growing up in Arizona, spring doesn't have this earthy, sweet smell. I was able to go for a long run this afternoon in the sun along a creek that wafts that spring aroma.

On the fiber front: I'm hoping to be done with a few large knitting projects soon and will post pictures.

I've been on this new diet, which has made me much more energized than during the dark, rainy days of winter. No wheat (I can have sprouted wheat, though), no dairy (but I get this amazing local raw goat milk instead), no sugar and no caffeine. After 4 weeks, I've now changed the "nos" to "stay away from" - this makes going out with friends and going to conferences (just got back from one in Portland) much easier. On the weekends, I let loose a little and it feels good. I still really miss pizza. I'm going to have to try a spelt pizza dough recipe to see if it's similar. Besides the higher levels of energy, it's helped me go back to something I have seen rarely since college - a flat stomach. Cutting out basically all majorly processed foods seems to really work (who would've thought...). Tonight, we're making homemade corn tortillas with sauteed italian greens, caramelized onions and sheep's milk farmer's cheese. I can't wait.

No comments: