Sunday, March 1, 2009

diet

Anyone who knows me, even those who don't know me that well, know that I am in the "live to eat" category, as opposed to the "eat to live" one. I am obsessed with food and have been for a long time. It became official when my mom would find me when she got home from work in the kitchen with a big dinner project started (think pumpkin ravioli or chess pie). I cooked at fine dining restaurants through college and loved it. I didn't love the drama that sometimes surrounded the professional kitchen, though.

I have been fortunate enough to never have all this good food wreak havoc on my body. I've never been on a diet (the closest has been when I found out I was lactose intolerant, but that's just a minor modification in diet). Well, this past Friday, I decided to try a new diet. As a new years' resolution, I promised to try to get to the bottom of my long standing fatigue (I'm an extremely active person, but I've always battled through a level of fatigue that has prevented me from going to the next level like a triathlon). I went to the acupuncturist for the first time and I'm hopeful that the acupuncture will be a good approach. He also suggested trying the blood type diet. I said I would try it for a few weeks. I'm an O, so my blood type diet is very "hunter gatherer" - lean meats and no refined foods. I got home and realized what that would entail and have second thoughts. No dairy, no wheat, no avocado, etc. I think I can approach this diet in spirit, but not methodically. I just don't live in such a black and white world with food. Not being able to eat avocados and vinegars were almost a deal breaker in themselves. So, I'll use this blog as a journal for how the diet is progressing. I already have a post ready about this weekend and my struggle with the diet...

No comments: