Tuesday, March 3, 2009

diet - the first three days

I decided to try the blood type diet for a month. After three days, my commitment has shrunk down to a week. I am an O, so to match this "ancient" blood type, I am supposed to eat like a hunter gatherer (my interpretation) - think foods before agriculture set in. I'm supposed to focus on lean meats, nuts, vegetables and grains. I'm not allowed to eat dairy, wheat or distilled liquids (vinegars, liquor, etc.). The almost deal-breaker was no avocado and only sprouted wheat bread (or spelt bread).

This weekend, no matter how much I ate, I still felt hungry. I was not happy without my carbs. It's getting better, but it's not easy. If I was still in the restaurant business, I would definitely start a bakery that focused on gluten free and wheat free backed goods that retain their moisture. I can't find a bread that I can eat that isn't closer to cardboard than bread.

I had a business lunch on Monday (this was a big test as I refused to make a big deal about this new diet). Thankfully, my colleague suggested a Vietnamese restaurant. It worked out beautifully (I love pho and it's generally okay on this diet).

My next visit to the acupuncturist who suggested this is on Friday. His main reason for suggesting this diet was because he saw that my spirit was blocked and not coming out. I think this diet is a great experience, but my spirit will be crushed without a relationship to nouveau-French food (I've realized how much my identity is still wrapped up in my cooking background). I'll probably end up using this diet in spirit, but staying very flexible. I'll keep posting as the week progresses...

2 comments:

cko said...

your spirit has needs too.
so can you eat all vegetables minus avocado??? wild rice is okay?
maybe you could try this recipe:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/wild-fried-rice-recipe.html
could you use bragg instead of the soy or is that all bad?

diplomatica said...

It's complicated...lots of ins and outs (no cabbage, no red beans, not vinegars...). I'm going more for the "spirit" of the diet - with less carbs and more variation in veggies in my diet.